Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Blogs | Healthy Eating Tips - Part 2
At Dallas Bariatric Center, we work hard to ensure that every one of our patients gets the support they need to succeed. This includes providing important pre- and post-surgery counseling services to equip our patients with important nutritional information.
Prior to weight loss surgery, our patients receive pre-surgery counseling and services, including:
- Nutrition counseling
- Preoperative tests and lab work
- Cardiopulmonary testing (if applicable)
Following your surgery, patients receive an individualized postoperative plan that may include:
- Nutrition counseling
- Weight management education
- A personalized exercise program
- Cardiac risk reduction services
- Participation in a weight loss support group
It is essential to stick to your postoperative plan to see successful weight loss and to maintain your new healthy lifestyle over the long term.
Proper nutrition will be a critical part of your success following weight loss surgery. While surgery will provide you with a good start, you will need to learn about nutrition and a new, healthy way of eating in order to experience lasting success.
Since nutrition is so essential to long-term health and weight management, nutrition counseling is part of both pre- and post-surgery counseling services. Some of the nutrition strategies and exercises you can expect to learn include:
- Balanced food budgeting
- Proper portion control
- Employing new food choices
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation
The entire team at Dallas Bariatric Center is here to help you achieve your goals. We encourage you to sign up for a free informational consultation with Dr. Jay to find out which weight loss option is best for you.
Dr. Jay is a leading bariatric surgeon in Dallas, providing affordable financing for gastric sleeve surgery. The team at Dallas Bariatric Center is dedicated to helping you get the support you need throughout the entire course of your weight loss journey, from pre-surgery to post-surgery. This support includes providing options to make your surgery as affordable as possible.
Insurance and CareCredit Options
Dallas Bariatric Center is in-network for all Aetna, UnitedHealthcare and Cigna policies. Additionally, we accept all plans with out-of-network benefits (i.e., PPO plans), including Medicare, Texas True Choice and Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Additionally, we work with CareCredit to make it easier and less stressful for you to get the care you need. CareCredit is part of GE Capital, the nation’s leader in patient financing. CareCredit works just like a credit card but is used exclusively for health-care expenses, including bariatric procedures like gastric sleeve surgery.
CareCredit offers a variety of payment plans, depending on your specific treatment plan and personal budget. You can even arrange to make convenient low monthly payments over a specified period of time.
You can learn more about all of these payment options here.
Reasons for Financing Your Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Insurance shouldn’t create a barrier and prevent you from getting the help you need to improve your health. Financing your gastric sleeve surgery can be a great option for you if:
- Your health insurance does not fully cover the cost of surgery.
- You have a high deductible policy.
- You are uninsured.
- You would like to have a procedure that is not covered by insurance companies.
To determine whether or not your insurance will cover your gastric sleeve surgery surgery, or to get more information on the affordable financing options available through the Dallas Bariatric Center, contact our office. We also encourage you to sign up for a free informational consultation today.
The stomach band, also known as laparoscopic surgery or lap band surgery, is one of the most common types of gastric surgeries performed in the United States. The lap band is the only FDA-approved device for bariatric surgery in patients with a BMI greater than 35, or for patients with a BMI of more than 30 who have one or more obesity-related comorbidities.
How does the stomach band work?
The first bariatric surgery approved for obese patients, stomach band surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that is performed through keyhole incisions (one to five small surgical cuts in the abdomen) using a laparoscope with a camera.
During the surgery, a silicone band is placed around the upper part of the patient’s stomach to decrease its size. The surgeon can access a tube attached to the band through a port under the skin of the patient’s abdomen. The bariatric surgeon injects saline solution through this port to inflate the band. Adjustments can be made to change the degree of constriction around the stomach.
The band creates a small pouch on top of the stomach, while the rest of the stomach sits below the pouch. The band is designed to constrict the stomach so that the patient feels fuller after eating less food than they are used to eating. This causes the patient to consume fewer calories following surgery, which aids weight loss.
The benefits of the stomach band
There are numerous benefits to using the stomach band to lose weight, including:
- Safety: Stomach band surgery has a low risk of complications.
- Completely reversible: Since the surgery does not alter the anatomy of the stomach in any way, the procedure is fully reversible and the band can be removed.
- Adjustable: The band can be tightened or loosened in response to any eating issues the patient may have after surgery or if the patient isn’t losing enough weight.
- Few scars: The procedure leaves minimal scarring.
- Quick recovery period: The procedure itself only takes about 30-45 minutes, and most patients are able to return to work a week after having the surgery (although this may vary depending on the job).
- High success rate: While individual results vary, for many people this surgery results in a 50-60 percent loss of excessive weight, with the majority of weight loss occurring in the first year after surgery.
- Effective: The stomach band has a high potential for substantial, long-term weight loss for obese individuals. Nonsurgical treatments for severely obese individuals, on the other hand, are rarely successful in the long term.
- Improves health: This surgery has the potential to significantly improve (or completely get rid) of obesity-related illnesses such as sleep apnea, heart disease, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, asthma and GERD.
If you would like more information about the stomach band in Dallas or would like to find out if you’re a good candidate for stomach band surgery, sign up for a free informational consultation today. Nobilis Health is committed to helping you get on the right path toward a healthy lifestyle.
Gastric Balloon: A simple, non-surgical outpatient procedure. We offer the Obalon Balloon System and ORBERA™ Intra-Gastric Balloon. Sleeve Gastrectomy: A type of restrictive laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Gastric Bypass: This weight loss surgery option alters the way your stomach and small intestine digest food. LAP-BAND® System: A surgical bariatric procedure for obese patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least […]
Morbid obesity (also called “clinically severe obesity”) is a very serious health condition that can interfere with your body’s most basic physical functions, including walking and breathing. People with this condition are at greater risk of developing major illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) […]